The dogs of warphrase
In English, the dogs of war is a phrase from Act 3, Scene 1, line 273 of William Shakespeare’s Julius Caesar: “Cry ‘Havoc!’, and let slip the dogs of war”. Wikipedia
Frontline diary peace philologist
“… Every evening, a group of believers bypasses perimeter our neighborhood with icons and prayers. Defenders of the local scale. But touching! .. Today … suddenly wanted to cry. Had to suppress this stupid desire, because it is pointless and unproductive. The desire to cry will not appear in the house water is not available in stores food for cats and for themselves. It remains to grit your teeth and endure … … When the Ukrainian army shells smashed system, feed water, the whole neighborhood went builder with large plastic bottles on the springs. The closest to my house – 3 kilometers each way. 2 times per day. Total 12 km. 6 of them with a big load … “
It’s a line from an ordinary resident of Facebook Gorlovki Elena Lavrov.
For the past few months for almost a thousand of its subscribers, it tells the news. Cruel, tragic, but not without irony and undercurrent of optimism. It would seem that from him to take in the city, which since August, with short intervals truce shelled almost daily? But Elena Leonidovna amazing faith in the best. And wide by today’s cynical times the soul. For several years she nursed collects and abandoned cats. Today, at her home, which stands almost on the front, more than 30 animals. In recent months, they were joined by the military and “broshenki.”
Distinct “Builder” August is haunted Ukrainian artillery. Here all blocks of flats with hits. With dozens of hits … shells smashed all the stops and shops. Elena Lavrov still on the phone advised us to hide the car in the courtyard, put it somewhere near the wall and be prepared for the fact that at any moment will start firing.
Mongrel Chara meets us in the corridor, happily waving his tail. Underfoot – trays for cats.Whiskered muzzle curious look at us from everywhere – from the kitchen, with a mezzanine, a window sill, with pillows and ottomans. In this amazing house clean and tidy. Tall, powerful cat lay down on the windowsill kitchen, stove guards. The window itself, taped crosswise, as in the besieged Leningrad, shrapnel pierced three days ago. Cats meet us cautious, but we are doing well, and by the end of the interview, each Correspondent “KP” sat on the three cats. They carefully and silently listened to our conversation. The main activity of Elena Leonidovna, by the way, far from the animal world. She – philologist, teacher Gorlovka faculty of foreign languages. A woman sits at desk with closed laptop. There is no light in the morning, and Facebook updates without temporarily. And students who now teaches Elena remotely sudden “window”.
– Our Language Institute broke into two parts – tells us Elena Lavrov. – Our former rector did his best to carry the Institute in Artemovsk. Part of the teachers said, “We’re not going anywhere, stay here.” A part decided to go to the Ukrainians. Institute broke into two approximately equal halves. And both of each other instantly hated though like people from one place.
– And you had the opportunity to go to Russia?
– How much you want. I have a lot and invited strangers, and grandson. He lives in Moscow, Anton, too, by the way, a journalist. Three days ago, called, saying that he is a man who can take me away. But … How do I throw? I can not leave them.
“No pensions or salaries, and platёzhki for electricity, rent and other already paying.
A small part of the population (I, for example) in a fun ironic disbelief.
Most of the population simply at a loss. But there are those who are furious …
… From time to time I kept going over the fate of other novorossiyan, especially in the days and nights of shelling, and I think what I would do if would have destroyed my house, would have deprived me of favorite books, loves cats?
Would weep and wring their hands? – No!
Would run to his beloved Russia, my homeland? – No!
Would ask the poorhouse? – No!
Would do away with them? – No!
I went to the militia and would ask the weapons that I could hold in their hands. We did not have to be purely be for them potatoes. And read them to his short lecture on the history, culture and world literature … “
– How do they perceive the war? – A nod to the cat, who had gathered around us in full force.
– The dog is afraid of course. And cats are pressed to the floor, too afraid.
You can not imagine what we have going on in the summer. People went home, threw apartments, and here were worn packs of dogs, dozens.
– People Many have left?
– I think the third. Many remained. Even with the children I have colleagues in the basement now live. Summer left, but then returned. Force, to be honest, at the end. Nerve force. When the shelling, we hide the dog and the neighbors on the stairs. A cat I leave here to fend for themselves. We were sitting on the stairs, tell each other jokes, distract each other … But the last fire, the worst already people were silent. And I said nothing, though I usually all looking. Forces were gone.
“… What do you think, which runs an experienced person when begun shelling? That’s right! In the bathroom – to draw water into the tub. Then he ran to the kitchen – domyt nedomytuyu dishes. Along the way, inserts a flashlight and phone sockets – to recharge.
And then begins to think about whether to run out onto the landing. Or, you can wait a little …
… In our city, most sellers in shops and markets will never say “UAH”, but always – “ruble” … “
– How Uglegorsk took, did not become easier? – Outside something boomed loudly. Far.
– Yes, you! They are gone mad. There was a horror week I did not leave the house. Already they have agreed today about something (we met on the day of visit, Merkel and Hollande in Moscow). But we also want to drive back to Ukraine. How will it be after what they did to us? I can not imagine. People hate Ukraine. Perhaps there are all sorts of Ukrainians, someone sympathizes with us, but can not say it openly. A deep rift in society.
– Background to him before the war?
– No like, we have – no. I saw one on the wall inscription “UNA-UNSO.” Another surprise – really Gorlovka there are people that can write it. The so-called “fifth column” in the Donbass still there.Kiev put us in difficult conditions. How to live without pensions, without wages? Our pensioners were forced to go to Artemivs’k, Kramatorsk, there restructure documents …
– Have you been?
– Of course, and as I live and nourish this mob? We have to go there, stand in line in the cold for three hours. Then design, then it is necessary to go there under fire. Then they came up with registration, that supposedly you live in Artemovsk. Now they have come up missing from the area ATO. Everything is done to complicate, to strangle, to destroy …
Purposeful policy against the elderly, women and children. Our children – a “larvae of Colorado.”
“… I produced a piece of fish. So wanted! Fire and went to FB, anticipating dinner about 15 minutes in the kitchen there was a terrible roar. I thought that flew round and legs were paralyzed with fear. When I came to myself, jumped into the kitchen. Frying pan on the floor and has licked to a shine. No fish! In the corner of the champs and growl. Well, maybe not terrorists ?!
… As one of my student: faculty and students choose between Ukraine and the DNR.This is a top pick. And those who chose Ukraine, tacitly agreed with the crimes that she committed in the territory of DNR … “
– How did you get to “the other side” treated as reissued went?
– Normally, it’s our people, it is the Donbass. My students, those who went to the other side, are well aware that things can change. The Army will continue our, they will be with us. This Donbass is the Russian people. Descendants civilize “Wild Field”. I have lived here 20 years and never heard of the Ukrainian language. I remember, was blamed for that I do not teach Ruthenian. With whom I will be on this Move to communicate? It is enough that I know English, French, German.But such was the policy of the authorities – to replace Russian Ukrainian. Why Yanukovych was elected? And because he had promised to make Russian the Donbass – state. Another reason to vote for him was not.
– And did not do anything …
– I do not think I could. There is all this seething in Kiev around him.
“… Some people believe that the policy does not concern them. And what she touch something! She never trifle. It all – without exception – keeps the throat …
… It would be nice, waking up in the morning and sipping coffee, rejoice that your house has not got a bomb in your apartment flew into a shell that you are alive and well, not injured. It is impossible to enjoy! Because someone’s house is destroyed, and in someone’s apartment flew round, and someone no longer alive, and someone is injured. And all the others – donbasstsy … “
– Humanitarian aid comes to you? Specifically, you get something? Could get?
– I saw a huge queue … And there was no money then. I decided that I better shoot myself than be killed in this crowd. But I have to gumantirka from Russia, from friends, acquaintances, just sympathizers readers.
– A week ago Gorlovka one day not fired, and we were amazed – how many people in the city!Why do not they leave?
– People think: “This is my home, where I’ll run out of it?” And I also think, though born in Russia and lived there for a half-life. Here ideological considerations. There are many people who survived the Great Patriotic War. And they compare. And they say that this war is terrible, because its shoot their. We also have all Ukrainian passport!
“… Here I go again! I’m alive! Builder for these two days terribly battered. No gas, no electricity, no telephone, no Internet, no water. There is not a single house. But as soon as the next shelling ends heard everywhere hammer. People immediately begin to repair the damage.
I removed the shards of glass from the balcony to the right hammer dislocated frame nailed the curtains to partially protect the balcony from the weather. Nothing, break through! .. “
– How did you start collecting animals?
– First there was the cat, then another … Because of leap years. Here people superstitious and believes that in these years can not drown kittens. They just throw. I collect them. Each cat has its own destiny, sometimes very heavy. Many have died, who of old age, who could not bear it easy.
– During the war many throw animals?
– Dogs ran dozens of cats too. People were leaving in a panic. Here Chara, its me someone threw up. Came out in the morning to fetch water at a spring three kilometers went … And she lies on the porch. Rope tail, ears helicopter … I was born three days after the Victory Day parade. So, I – a child of the war, and Chara – a child of this war.
“… Taking a walk in the morning with Charco, found on the lawn dud length from fingertip to elbow and thick with my wrist. Stood over him and wondered what to do?Children or teenagers find. How long will into trouble! Got up and went with this crap at the checkpoint. Went and thought, and suddenly explode? But since his leave – not!Came to the guys. Given.
– And could explode?
– Could! Without hands would just stayed …
… Walk with Charco’s not happened. In the morning began to fire intermittently. And throughout the day postrelivat. Chara brought leash. How to explain the dog that walks dangerous? ..
… Half an hour ago a shell fell near my house. Euro-windows stood only because the kitchen is already slit from the previous stroke, and the balcony door I do not hold on constipation. She swung from the blast, and I was thrown on the couch. Landed softly.At Charco … “
Frontline diary peace philologist